Church History

Rodes United Methodist Church, situated in Nelson County about 4 miles south of Afton, had its beginning as a result of Miss Amy D. Rodes attending a Camp Meeting in 1820 in Augusta County.  She was converted and when she returned home, she persuaded her father, Charles, to invite the Minister over for a visit.  A Revival was held, a Methodist Society formed, and a log cabin meeting house was built.  In 1850, Charles and his wife gave the land and $500 to build a brick building.  In 1914, that building was torn down because lightning had struck a tree that fell across the church and damaged it beyond repair.  The present brick Sanctuary was then built. Land was purchased in 1961 to build a seven-room parsonage. In 1849 Rodes was part of the Nelson Circuit.  Later Rodes was part of the Batesville Circuit.  In the 1950’s plans for a Sunday school addition were drawn and in 1961 the addition was completed.  In 1960 Rodes became a Station Church.  The last renovation to the Church took place in 1993 when the Narthex was built.

Ministers at Rodes

Station Church–1960 to present

  •   2014-present: Lowell D. Petry
  •   1999-2014: J. Richard McDowell
  •   1995-99: Clyde Weaver
  •   1986-95: Sebert W. Rorrer
  •   1982-86: Robert J. Day
  •   1976-82: Lloyd C. Judy
  •   1971-76: Amos S. Rideout, Jr.
  •   1971: Frank Baker
  •   1970-71: Alfred Green
  •   1968-70: Herman G. Schroeder
  •   1964-68: John Hayes
  •   1962-64: William A. Jester
  •   1960-62: Harvey Williams

Batesville Circuit 1862-1960

  •   1957-60: John Tate
  •   1956-57: Vernon Banks
  •   1956: Charles S. Cook
  •   1952-56: Albert Honaker
  •   1951-52: William L. Hoswall
  •   1950-51: L.W. Gordon
  •   1949-50: O.S. Wright
  •   1946-47: C. Warner Crumb
  •   1943-44: Jesse Bell
  •   1942-43: L.O. Rose
  •   1941-42: W.G. Burch
  •   1939-41: C.H. Fielding
  •   1937-39: H.H. Johnson
  •   1933-34: R.C. Barbour
  •   1932-33: L.O. Wright
  •   1928-32: R.L. Fruit
  •   1924-28: J.W. Bouldin
  •   1922-24: J.K. Holman
  •   1918-22: J.C. Harry
  •   1917-18: T.G. Pullen
  •   1914-17: L.H. Early
  •   1910-14: C.F. Comer
  •   1907-10: C. R. James
  •   1903-07: E. V. Carson
  •   1899-1903: T.H. Campbell
  •   1896-99: J.W. Carroll
  •   1895-96: E.T. Dadmund and W.L. Ware
  •   1894-95: E.T. Dadmund and W.C. Pace
  •   1892-94: C.E. Hobday
  •   1889-92: C.H. Boggs
  •   1886-89: A.C. Berryman
  •   1884-86: William E. Payne
  •   1880-84: R.W. Watts
  •   1876-80: Richard Ferguson
  •   1873-76: W.W. Spain
  •   1871-73: W.F. Robins
  •   1867-71: H.H. Gary
  •   1865-67: B. H. Johnson
  •   1863-65: George K. Vanderslice
  •   1862-63: H. C. Cheatham

Nelson Circuit 1848-1862

  •   1862:  Edgar H. Pritchett
  •   1861:  Samuel Robertson
  •   1860:  Lloyd Moore
  •   1859:  Milton L. Bishop and Edgar   B. Pritchett
  •   1858:  Andrew J. Beckwith and H.D. Wood   (superintendent)
  •   1857:  Thomas Diggs
  •   1856:  George F. Dogget
  •   1854-56: Charles Pearson
  •   1852-54: Henry D. Wood
  •   1850-52: J. Shough
  •   1848-50: John Howard

Albemarle Circuit 1834-1848

  •   1848: George W. Nolley and two assistants,   John Hall and David Wood
  •   1846: Francis S. Mitchell and two   assistants, Jacob Manning and B.L. Hume
  •   1844: Samuel H. Mullens and two assistants,   George W. Nolley and L.E. Harrison
  •   1843: Samuel H. Mullens and two assistants,   George W. Nolley and J.B.L. Williams
  •   1842: Anthony Dibrill and two assistants,   Joshua Tinsley and Joseph Hough
  •   1840: G.W. Mitchell and two assistants,   Joseph Carson and J.S.R. Clark
  •   1839: Moses Brock and Joseph Carson
  •   1836: Samuel Kennerly
  •   1835: Isaac Harris
  •   1834: A.C. Burton